The LUMS Society of Chemical Sciences and Engineering aims to spread awareness about environmental concerns, whilst promoting a culture of research and critical thinking at both a national and international level. The society aims to provide a platform for keen students and researchers to think outside the box for the benefit of the society at large. In addition to hosting popular seminars & competition events, the society is also responsible for synthesizing and publishing research conducted at the LUMS SBA School of Science & Engineering. LSCSE is also host to a chapter of the international Materials Research Society.
Using the fundamental knowledge of Chemical Sciences and Engineering to spread awareness regarding environmental concerns, whilst promoting a culture of research and critical thinking at both a national and international level. To make the learning of Chemical Sciences and Engineering more creative, providing a platform to cultivate keen students and researchers to think outside the box for the benefit of the society at large.
- To organize popular lectures/seminars which will provide a platform for university students to engage in a valuable exchange of thoughts and ideas, witness practical demonstrations of emerging concepts, and partake in one-on-one conversation with accomplished faculty members, academia, and relevant industry professionals.
- To apprise students of current global affairs and encourage them to participate in different events related to chemical sciences and engineering.
- To hold competitions within and outside LUMS in order to incite a passion for chemical and other natural science disciplines.
- To synthesize and publish the research conducted by students and researchers at LUMS as well as its affiliates in a collected and organized database.
- To maintain all local or international linkages, chapters, and affiliations with sovereign entities and institutions.
Our Core Values
- Creating awareness of Chemical Sciences in masses.
- Presenting Chemical Sciences in a fun way
- Giving Chemistry Students at undergrad and grad level to show case their work
Synergize would be an event in which bright minds from all over the Pakistan would compete to find a feasible solution to a common world problem. The theme for this competition will vary each year and will be decided with the input from the LUMS Chemistry department. Potential themes include Pakistan’s energy crisis, inaccessibility to clean drinking water, inaccessibility to basic first aid and medicine, the industrial movement away from organic foods to induced rapid farm growth, slow crop yields, inability to maintain crop exporting standards, untapped energy solutions in Pakistan, AI integration for smart farming, and the like. Each year we plan to partner with a sponsor from the relevant industry to put up a cash prize for whoever pitches the most concrete, well thought out, and practical solution to a crisis that Pakistan is facing.
Lab Wars would be Chemistry based competition that allows secondary school students to indulge in applications of the chemistry that they learn whilst competing for a best delegation prize.