It is an honor being the president of Amnesty Int LUMS this year. We see increasing number of human rights abuses around the world every day and wonder how we can play a role in making the world a better place to live for all. The first step is to condemn the wrong and raise a voice against all evils. Amnesty Int LUMS is a society of activists who are keen to play their role in the society as responsible citizens. My team aims to extend support for the oppressed and raise a voice against injustice.
Amnesty International LUMS
“Amnesty International's vision is of a world in which every person enjoys all of the human rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights instruments.” In light of this, Amnesty International LUMS aims to see recognition of human rights, awareness about the grave abuses of human rights, action to prevent them, and justice for those whose rights have been violated.
We aim to achieve our vision through taking up human rights issues by mobilising public pressure through mass demonstrations, vigils, and direct lobbying, as well as online and offline campaigning, and undertaking research focused on preventing and ending abuses of these rights.
Our Core Values
- Empathy, not sympathy
- Direct contact with the affected community engrains understanding among the members, which makes them more passionate about fighting for injustices.
- Ideas before hierarchy
- All the members of the society have equal opportunities to share ideas, propose action plans and be involved in decision making of events to ensure innovation and participation. This drives the members to contribute and not be bounded by incentives of promotions; after all, the real mission is upholding Human Rights, not private benefits.
- Small differences matter
- Given the chequered history of human rights in Pakistan, Amnesty encourages its members to take initiatives, however small.
- To act as a student-based activist and pressure group demanding a call to action on any current social issue from the concerned authorities.
- To inculcate soft skills in the members of the society that will help the budding activists to continue their work on higher platforms.
- To mobilise support, raise awareness and demand action from the general public and not only restrict the work within LUMS
- From Condemnation to Action: A Conversation with Jibran Nasir and Arafat Mazhar
- The plight of Rohingya Refugees-Charity Drive
- Unfolding Burma Crisis
- Zainab Murder Case and Child Sexual Abuse: What Can We Do?
- The Question of Pashtun Citizenship
- Harassment in Public Space and Struggle of Transgender Community
- Film Screening: Nasser’s Republic-The Making of Modern Egypt
- Ten years On Balfour Declaration
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: LUMS, DHA, Lahore Cantt 54792, Lahore, Pakistan